Living in Southwest Virginia for a semester has taught me many things about what it means to be an American. This is what I have learned while living in Wise:
1. Your body is able to eat chicken and fries every day – It may not particularly be great for your figure but it is delicious.
2. Snow days are fun, but snow weeks are not!
3. Southern hospitality is not a myth.
4. If you do not like sweet tea, you may be labeled ‘Un-American’ … lucky I am not American!
5. There is a shirt for every event.
6. People love an Australian accent, but are not very knowledgable in Australian trivia.
7. ‘Talking’ is not just the action of speaking, but a whole phase of a relationship.
8. It’s commonplace for a basketball game to turn into a sound and light show.
9. There is a distinct difference between Northern Virginia accents and Southern Virginia accents, and you better learn them fast before you accidentally insult someone!
10. People at UVa-Wise will notice that you are new to the college and question you about why you chose to come here!