Next UVa-Wise chancellor almost chosen

UVa-Wise’s chancellor search committee has narrowed down the hunt for a new executive to three finalists, and the college may soon announce who its eighth chancellor will be, officials said. 

UVa President Teresa Sullivan
UVa President Teresa Sullivan

University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan gave the most recent update on the search to members of the UVa Board of Visitors’ College at Wise Committee on Nov. 9, according to a meeting agenda.

The Cavalier Daily, UVa’s student newspaper, quoted Sullivan as telling the committee that she hoped to name a new chancellor “soon.”

“I have travelled to each of the [three] finalists’ homes and have had a meal with each of them,” Sullivan said, according to the newspaper. “I think we will be soon naming a chancellor of the college.”

The 15-member chancellor search committee met on Oct. 25 and announced that they had selected three unranked finalists to be recommended to Sullivan whom they felt matched “the culture and mission of the college.” Several candidates had previously visited the campus for interviews.

UVa-Wise spokeswoman Kathy Still said she didn’t have any further information on when a finalist might be selected.

Sim Ewing, vice chancellor for finance and administration, declined to comment.

Madison Savarese, the student representative on the college’s chancellor search committee, said she hoped they would be able to publicly name a finalist by December.

David Prior, the seventh chancellor of the college, died in February of an apparent heart attack.

The search for his replacement has been ongoing since April.

Jordan Fifer

Interdisciplinary studies major Jordan Fifer served as The Highland Cavalier's editor-in-chief and online editor in the 2012-2013 academic year. He previously served as staff writer, news editor and photo editor.