News

College funds apparently hacked, nearly $1 million stolen last week

3 Sep , 2010  

By Jordan Fifer
Staff Writer
jtf3u@uvawise.edu

UPDATE : Computer hackers apparently stole close to $1 million from UVa-Wise last week and the money has been recovered, according to officials and the computer crimes blog, http://krebsonsecurity.com.

College administrators would not comment on specific details of the incident. Kathy Still, the college’s director of news and media relations, said the money stolen on Aug. 25 has since been recovered.

“No funds have been lost,” Still said. “We caught it early on.” Thieves apparently stole $996,000 after hacking into a computer belonging to University’s comptroller, according to the cyber crimes blog, http://krebsonsecurity.com. Run by a former Washington Post reporter, the blog cites anonymous sources who said hackers used a computer virus to place a wire transfer from one of the college’s accounts at BB&T Bank. A representative for BB&T did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Sim Ewing, vice chancellor for finance and administration, alerted faculty and staff in an e-mail on Aug. 27 that a hacking incident had occurred on campus. He said that no personal data had been compromised. Still said students were not informed because it was “not a student related issue.” Student data was not affected, she said. Lawrence Barry, a spokesman for the FBI Richmond field office, confirmed the agency was working with the Virginia State Police and campus police to investigate, but declined to comment further.

Read more in today’s print edition of The Highland Cavalier or subscribe to our electronic mail edition.

2 Responses

1. Estelle M says:

Somebody at the college? I think I’ll get the print edition tonight or sometime Saturday.

2. [...] Jordan Fifer, a reporter for the Highland Cavalier, the official student newspaper for UVA-Wise, writes that school officials now say they have recovered the stolen money.Recommended reading:Target: [...]